The digital revolution is in full swing, and businesses are racing to adapt and thrive in this new landscape. In a 2023 Digital Business Study conducted by Foundry, an astounding 89 percent of companies have already embraced or are actively considering a digital-first business strategy. This shift is not just about adopting new technologies; it's a fundamental transformation of the way businesses operate.
challenges of traditional IT models:
In the days of old, IT functions operated in silos, with separate teams managing various aspects of operations. This compartmentalized structure presented several challenges:
- Siloed Departments: Each IT team operated in isolation, leading to limited communication and collaboration. This lack of cross-functional expertise hindered a comprehensive understanding of the broader IT landscape.
- Inefficient Resource Allocation: Resource allocation was often inefficient, with fragmented decision-making processes that didn't align with overall business objectives. This resulted in redundancies and wasted resources.
- Sluggish Response to Change: Traditional IT models struggled to adapt swiftly to emerging technological trends and evolving business needs. The rigidity of these models became a roadblock to innovation and agility.
The digital era calls for a shift from these outdated models towards a more integrated approach to IT.
embracing integrated IT
Enterprises now recognize the need for a more agile and responsive IT framework. Instead of compartmentalized departments, they are focusing on a cohesive, integrated approach that offers numerous advantages:
- Stability and Scalability: Integrated models are designed with stability and scalability in mind. They facilitate optimized resource allocation, which can significantly reduce costs. For instance, by centralizing the procurement of software licenses, organizations minimize wastage and licensing expenses.
- Knowledge Sharing: In contrast to fragmented IT structures, integrated models promote knowledge sharing across different IT functions. This cross-pollination of expertise can enhance security, streamline operations, and drive innovation.
- Cohesive Decision-Making: Integrated models reduce independent, often contradictory decision-making. This shift aligns IT strategies with overall business goals, ushering in an era of digital transformation.
a rapid response to change
Integrated models offer more than just speed and agility; they address various dimensions of change:
- Speed of Technology Change: In a rapidly evolving tech landscape, integrated models enable businesses to adapt swiftly.
- Frequent Client Needs: Client requirements evolve, and integrated models provide the flexibility to meet these changing demands efficiently.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Cross-functional teams have expertise across the entire IT function, positioning them to respond to evolving requirements with ease and speed.
- Scalability: When skills gaps emerge, integrated models allow for quick identification and resolution, maximizing cost-effectiveness and efficiency.
The Harvard Business Review reports a 76 percent success rate for projects with strong cross-functional collaboration, making integrated IT models a game-changer for businesses.
the skills gap conundrum
The transition to integrated IT models is further fueled by the growing demand for IT skills. The U.S. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 23 percent growth in employment for computer and information research scientists from 2022 to 2032, the increasing demand for specialized IT skills.
The demand for specialized IT skills is on the rise. For instance, the field of data science is experiencing rapid growth. A company in the retail sector may find that they need data scientists to analyze customer data for personalization and demand forecasting, leading to an increased demand for these skills. In a traditional IT structure, it might be challenging to identify skills gaps and anticipate future skill requirements across the organization. In contrast, an integrated IT model offers enhanced visibility by tracking the skills and expertise of the entire IT workforce. This visibility helps identify skill shortages proactively.
To boost retention and keep pace with technological change, businesses must act to inject fresh talent and knowledge.
But with the talent demand-supply gap set to continue, how can companies keep up?
the dawn of digital enablement
To address the skills gap and ensure long-term value realization, a talent-first approach, known as digital enablement, is essential. This innovative strategy accelerates your digital transformation journey by collaborating with specialized third-party digital enablers who provide access to expert digital talent on a global scale.
Digital enablers provide extended IT teams in the form of full-stack, pre-vetted, agile pods. These teams can be rapidly deployed on demand, scaling up or down to meet changing requirements.
- On-Demand IT Teams: Digital enablers offer extended IT teams in the form of full-stack, pre-vetted, agile pods. These teams can be swiftly deployed on demand, ready to scale up or down to precisely meet your changing requirements.
- Reskilling Initiatives: With a focus on sustainable career development, digital enablers consistently reinvest in their teams. This reinvestment adds value to your enterprise talent pool while effectively closing critical skill gaps across the entire industry.
As we stand on the threshold of a new era in IT, characterized by integrated models, heightened skills demand, and rapid responses to change, it's vital to take proactive steps.
unlock your digital potential:
Everest's Digital Enablement Index offers a powerful tool to evaluate your organization's readiness for the digital age. This index is your compass to navigate the complex terrain of digital transformation successfully.
By assessing your digital enablement, you can:
- Gauge your organization's strengths and areas for improvement.
- Benchmark your digital capabilities against industry standards.
- Identify opportunities for growth and innovation.
- Ensure your business remains competitive in a dynamic and ever-evolving digital landscape.
Eager to discover personalized insights for your specific challenges? Connect with us now for a personalized consultation and delve into the findings of your organization's Digital Enablement Index assessment.